Sunday 18 March 2012

Healthy home made dog food





So we all love our furry little friends, don't we?

   With few exceptions, people generally love their pets. We care for them, walk/pet/bathe/brush/throw frizbees/dangle balls of yarn/ cuddle and feed them. What you feed your pet can play an important role in their overall health and quality of life. Dogs fed nothing but low end dry kibble, live shorter lives than those that eat fresh foods as part of their diet. It is my opinion that in the wild, before dogs were domesticated, they did not eat kibble. They ate a wide variety of foods- from fruits and berries, to vegetables, roots, and any game they could catch.
This seemed alot more natural to me. One things that all pet lovers are concerned over, is the quality of dog and cat food available to the consumer, and what regulations apply and what they mean. There are always loopholes in the regulations, and it was inthe not-so-distant past that a number of animals died senselessly, by bwing posioned by their commercial food. I must tell you that the ingredients in these products would make you sick. And I do mean they would literally make you ill if you consumed it.
  That does not make me happy. SO......

I  decided I was going to integrate healthy fresh foods that I could cook myself, into my dog's diet and I am so happy that I did. ( so is the dog, by the way)

   As for a recipe, I did alot of research online, and by all means, don't take my word for it- check it out for yourselves, and you will find the same information I found. Dogs (like people) need a certain amount of protein/veg/grain each day. So I came up with a recipe that works for our dog. I have also served this dog food to the dogs who belong to our family and friends, with nothing but the happiest of results when each and every one has licked thier bowls clean, tails-a-waggin'! Ihope your dogs enjoy this as much as ours do.
Please note* we still feed our dogs high quality kibble every day. What works for our dogs, is we reduce one and a half cups of kibble from the daily food allotment, and in its place, serve one, to one and a half cups of 'doggie stew'. This is my recipe, that I created for our dog Storm. He is a rescue from Hurricane Katrina. He was on death row in a high kill shelter when I found him online and I just knew with all my heart- he was our boy. So he made the long and difficult journey to Canada, went through heart worm treatment, and has a form of PTSD ( yes, dogs can get that too) and a thyroid condition that means he is on meds every day for the rest of his life.
He went through the levels of obedience training, and then later, I got him started in St.John ambulance's certified Pet Therapy Program. He has been a certified Pet Therapy Dog for years now, and has brought joy and comfort to those who are frail and ill, and it is in that spirit that I share with you this recipe, named in his honour.


    Storm's doggy stew   (beef)

-2lb. ground beef   ( human grade- use the beef you would use in your own meals)
-5 medum carrots
-4 stalks celery
-small handfull broccoli or cauliflower (chelating minerals)
-1 1/2 cups whole grain brown rice
-1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper


Directions;

    Wash veggies and peel carrots.

In food processor, use shredder attatchment, and shred the carrots, celery, and broccoli.

   In large pot or dutch oven, brown 2lbs ground beef.  Drain off  any excess oil.
  
add all veggies to beef in pot

add 1 1/2 cups brown rice, stirl to combine

add salt and pepper

cover with water about an inch above the food- water will be absorbed as rice cooks.

bring to boil over med high, stir occaisionally

allow to simmer until rice is cooked

allow to cool and place one cup serving per sandwich bag ( for large dogs)

or for small dogs, place one cup in each sandwich bag, but serve half contents of bag daily, (with kibble.)
Learn your pet's food needs- if they are hungry, feed a bit more. If they are not, feed a little less. Use good sense, or ask your vet if you are unsure.

Guideline;

for large dogs- remove one cup of kibble daily, and replace with Storm's doggie stew.
for small dogs- remove half of the daily kibble allotment and replace with an equal amount of Storm's doggie Stew.
Adjust this guide to suit your pets needs- every dog has their own food requirements. I freeze the sandwhich bags of food and take out one evey morning for our dog. emeber to heat the dog stew thouroughly, cool down somewhat, and test the temp with your finger- you want it to be baby bottle temperature when they eat it.

*NEVER FEED YOUR DOGS SCALDING HOT FOODS!*

If your dog has any medical conditions, ask your vet before you change thier diet in any way- I did.
Good luck, enjoy our recipe, and may you have healthy, happy dogs!
Namaste,
from Tracy.
The
SurreySproutQueen




  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment